It was a usual meeting. The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) was in his place and his companions gathered around him to hear the words of wisdom and guidance.
Suddenly a poor man in rags appeared, saluted the assembly:
“Salamun Alaikum” and finding a vacant place, comfortably sat down. The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) had taught them that all Muslims were brothers and in an assembly one should sit wherever one finds a place, regardless of any status.
Now, it so happened that this poor man sat next to a very rich man. The rich man felt disturbed and tried to collect the edges of his dress around himself, so that the poor man did not touch them. The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) observed this and addressing the rich man he said:
“Perhaps you were afraid that his poverty would affect you?”
“No, O Messenger of Allah,” he said
“Then perhaps you were apprehensive about some of your wealth flying away to him?”
“No, O Messenger of Allah.”
“Or you feared that your clothes would become dirty if he touched them?”
“No, O Messenger of Allah.”
“Then why did you draw yourself and your clothes away from him?”
The rich man said: “I admit that was the most undesirable thing to do. It was an error and I confess. Now to make amends for it, I will give away half of my wealth to this Muslim brother so that I may be forgiven.”
Just as he said this, the poor man rose and said: “O Prophet of Allah, I do not accept his offer.”
People present were all taken by surprise. They thought the poor man was a fool. But he explained:
“O Prophet of Allah, I refuse to accept his offer because I fear that I might then become arrogant and ill treat my Muslim brothers the way he did to me.”
The poor man
Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods
The poor man
- Warsan_Star_Muslimah
- SomaliNet Heavyweight

- Posts: 4574
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:19 pm
- Location: ''A Malyuun Bucks''
Re: The poor man
Jazakallah sis.
It is amazing that people were actually rejecting wealth in those days, now days some people would go to drastic measures to have wealth.
Sad to say, but I believe some people are literally worshipping money! The live for it, their whole lives is built on it, revolves around it, and it is not just that they are working to live, they are working to live larger.
- SultanOrder
- Posts: 21695
- Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 pm
- Location: Peace!
Re: The poor man
Amazing wallahi and moving, Rasulka scw said ' it is not poverty that I fear for you but wealth'
Jesus (as) is reported to have said ' it is easier for a cow to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven'
WSM I don't know if you know this but humans have always symbolically represented what they prize most or worship (in a loose sense) by making that the highest point in their cities.
ex: If you look at lets say Medieval cities of Europe what use to be the tallest buildings in the cities? Churches
In renassaince Europe what use to be the tallest buildings at that time? Princely buildings or palaces
In Modern cities what is the tallest buildings? Banks
I hope the muslims avoid this danger amin
Jesus (as) is reported to have said ' it is easier for a cow to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven'
WSM I don't know if you know this but humans have always symbolically represented what they prize most or worship (in a loose sense) by making that the highest point in their cities.
ex: If you look at lets say Medieval cities of Europe what use to be the tallest buildings in the cities? Churches
In renassaince Europe what use to be the tallest buildings at that time? Princely buildings or palaces
In Modern cities what is the tallest buildings? Banks
I hope the muslims avoid this danger amin
- Warsan_Star_Muslimah
- SomaliNet Heavyweight

- Posts: 4574
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:19 pm
- Location: ''A Malyuun Bucks''
Re: The poor man
Perfect_Order wrote: Jesus (as) is reported to have said ' it is easier for a cow to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven'![]()
Amiin. These days they are tearing down churches to build banks or any other thing that'll make them get more money and make people spend more money.WSM I don't know if you know this but humans have always symbolically represented what they prize most or worship (in a loose sense) by making that the highest point in their cities.
ex: If you look at lets say Medieval cities of Europe what use to be the tallest buildings in the cities? Churches
In renassaince Europe what use to be the tallest buildings at that time? Princely buildings or palaces
In Modern cities what is the tallest buildings? Banks![]()
I hope the muslims avoid this danger amin
Muslim countries are also affected to an extent, look how money driven society the gulf has become?
Truely sad.
- SultanOrder
- Posts: 21695
- Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 pm
- Location: Peace!
Re: The poor man

But then again I don't believe that making places of worship more fancy and huge and expensive is the way to go.
It is the Gulf countries who are the most affected it reminds me of the hadith where rasulka scw says something like ' the hour is near when arabs come out of the dessert to compete in bigger and bigger buildings.' not exactly the ahadith.
- Warsan_Star_Muslimah
- SomaliNet Heavyweight

- Posts: 4574
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:19 pm
- Location: ''A Malyuun Bucks''
Re: The poor man
lol, I'm not suprised. They value buildings that'll get them money. It is the same pretty much in England. If you notice the churches are empty nearly all the time, it is like a ghost house. The only communities that go to churches are mostly non-European.
Yes I remember that hadith. I agree that we shouldn't go OTT with masjids, especially the inside should be kept simple, so as not to distract the abid. But I'm glad that in muslim countries masjids are still active, even in western countries it is active to an extent.
Yes I remember that hadith. I agree that we shouldn't go OTT with masjids, especially the inside should be kept simple, so as not to distract the abid. But I'm glad that in muslim countries masjids are still active, even in western countries it is active to an extent.
- SultanOrder
- Posts: 21695
- Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 pm
- Location: Peace!
Re: The poor man
I don't know about Europeans but when i was in Sweden last month they had this beautiful masjid high tech brand new everything built for free by Qatar, lakin it was mostly empty basically the whole day except for jimcaha, and the qutbaha was in arabic but the community was Turkish, Somali, other african, and Arab. I don't think the Imam could speak Swedish either 
- Warsan_Star_Muslimah
- SomaliNet Heavyweight

- Posts: 4574
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:19 pm
- Location: ''A Malyuun Bucks''
Re: The poor man
Lool, London is better, more muslims and a lot of the imams I've seen can speak English or get a translator. It is pretty much the same though, masjid is usually fuller on Fridays, & especially on jumca prayers.

Re: The poor man
Warsan_Star_Muslimah wrote:![]()
Jazakallah sis.
It is amazing that people were actually rejecting wealth in those days, now days some people would go to drastic measures to have wealth.
Sad to say, but I believe some people are literally worshipping money! The live for it, their whole lives is built on it, revolves around it, and it is not just that they are working to live, they are working to live larger.
waa iyaaki sis.Waa runta hada dadki lacag bay ku waashen.
-
- Similar Topics
- Replies
- Views
- Last post
-
- 39 Replies
- 4246 Views
-
Last post by michael_ital
-
- 0 Replies
- 390 Views
-
Last post by FAH1223
-
- 14 Replies
- 1243 Views
-
Last post by AbdiWahab252
-
- 7 Replies
- 822 Views
-
Last post by Rabshoole
-
- 0 Replies
- 359 Views
-
Last post by HELWAA
-
- 1 Replies
- 501 Views
-
Last post by HELWAA
-
- 0 Replies
- 380 Views
-
Last post by D-Runner
-
- 24 Replies
- 1925 Views
-
Last post by Lillaahiya
-
- 4 Replies
- 516 Views
-
Last post by Jamac_Yare
-
- 3 Replies
- 513 Views
-
Last post by Buhodle-Gurl
