What are your retirement plans?
Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators
Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
-
Lamagoodle
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 pm
Re: What are your retirement plans?
I want to start a school in the NFD.
- BlackVelvet
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 23249
- Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm
- Location: On Idman's mind
Re: What are your retirement plans?
MashaAllah, hard not feel content just reading thatReacher wrote:Jasmine6 wrote:How do you see your life progressing once you've reached retirement?
For the purpose of this thread, assume you are going to live to be at least 96 years old. Have you thought ahead with regards to where and how you plan to live?
We are from a culture where parents and elders live with and are taken care of by their children and grandchildren. So are you expecting or even counting on your children (existing or planned) to take care of you? If not, what are your plans?
I think the ideal age to exit this world is about 63-65 for me. One may become a liability to loved ones from that point on. I don't plan on burdening anyone. I prefer/don't mind the opposite and to help/care for others though I pray any kid of my own grows up to be self sufficient and healthy. With those sentiments out of the way, I plan to take early retirement and spend my time traveling for few years and see places I haven't seen before. Then I want to go back to my humble roots living next to a well of water, an easy walk to the market to buy camel milk, greetings to all every morning, familiar faces, candies for the neighboring kids, hellos to the old and young alike. I am hoping a life well lived and humble to the end, and to give back to Somalis in general small or big, just somehow. I benefitted from being a Somali in this world materially, educationally, and best of all, the Islamic faith that I was born into due my parents being Somalis.
That said you can still be self sufficient 20/30 years after you hit 65. Healthy lifestyle will keep you fit for longer
- BlackVelvet
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 23249
- Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm
- Location: On Idman's mind
Re: What are your retirement plans?
btw aren't they drilling for oil in that region? Do you think it will benefit the locals?JaalleMarx wrote:I want to start a school in the NFD.
-
Lamagoodle
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 pm
Re: What are your retirement plans?
The windfalls will eventually benefit the locals. There will be some trickling down effect .Jasmine6 wrote:btw aren't they drilling for oil in that region? Do you think it will benefit the locals?JaalleMarx wrote:I want to start a school in the NFD.
My school will be the best in Africa; benchmarked along the best schools in the west.
- BlackVelvet
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 23249
- Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm
- Location: On Idman's mind
Re: What are your retirement plans?
With your educational background, I don't doubt itJaalleMarx wrote:The windfalls will eventually benefit the locals. There will be some trickling down effect .Jasmine6 wrote:btw aren't they drilling for oil in that region? Do you think it will benefit the locals?JaalleMarx wrote:I want to start a school in the NFD.
My school will be the best in Africa; benchmarked along the best schools in the west.
-
Lamagoodle
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 pm
Re: What are your retirement plans?
Dear niece,
Your input will be indeed. The school will be well managed; I have talked to potential backers and we are in the process of establishing an endowment fund. I will need smart somalis like you to realise this goal.
Your input will be indeed. The school will be well managed; I have talked to potential backers and we are in the process of establishing an endowment fund. I will need smart somalis like you to realise this goal.
- SummerRain
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 17320
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 am
Re: What are your retirement plans?
I have been contributing to my retirement since I was 16 years old. I haven't really set plans for it yet, that's kind of unrealistic given my age. I have to get a clear picture for what collage finances will look like for the kids, and the affordability of it. Given a nice education pension, would be nice to busy myself with gardening, grand kids and volunteering at the social and educational capacity. Those are all intentions but Allah knows what's coming for me.
- BlackVelvet
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 23249
- Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm
- Location: On Idman's mind
Re: What are your retirement plans?
Whatever you need, I am more than happy to helpJaalleMarx wrote:Dear niece,
Your input will be indeed. The school will be well managed; I have talked to potential backers and we are in the process of establishing an endowment fund. I will need smart somalis like you to realise this goal.
- BlackVelvet
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 23249
- Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm
- Location: On Idman's mind
Re: What are your retirement plans?
MashaAllah, there's thinking ahead. Would you see yourself living with your kids when you're not able to look after yourself or are you more comfortable with the idea of hired care?SummerRain wrote:I have been contributing to my retirement since I was 16 years old. I haven't really set plans for it yet, that's kind of unrealistic given my age. I have to get a clear picture for what collage finances will look like for the kids, and the affordability of it. Given a nice education pension, would be nice to busy myself with gardening, grand kids and volunteering at the social and educational capacity. Those are all intentions but Allah knows what's coming for me.
- salool
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 7692
- Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 am
- Location: "Live Each Day As If It Were Your Last... Tomorrow is Not Promised."
Re: What are your retirement plans?
Sidi ilaahy ka dhigo bay noqon but i just hope i wont be burden to anyone.Dadka ciyaal aaney wali dhalin ku xisaabtamaya ayaan ka yaabanahy, what if Allah doesnt bless you with any, or if you've few ay caasi kugu noqdaan.You should't rely to anyone in this dunya.
- greenday
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 12366
- Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 am
- Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!
Re: What are your retirement plans?
I dont have one! let me get close to it bal.
-
Lamagoodle
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 pm
Re: What are your retirement plans?
You are one of my candidates; we should engage in knowledge transfer; I have some financial backers but, I will need educated and goal oriented somalis to realise the plan.Jasmine6 wrote:Whatever you need, I am more than happy to helpJaalleMarx wrote:Dear niece,
Your input will be indeed. The school will be well managed; I have talked to potential backers and we are in the process of establishing an endowment fund. I will need smart somalis like you to realise this goal.
- BlackVelvet
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 23249
- Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm
- Location: On Idman's mind
Re: What are your retirement plans?
I agree, it's quite a risk to take. Some people just have children so that they can have someone to look after them when they're old. Waa lugooyosalool wrote:Sidi ilaahy ka dhigo bay noqon but i just hope i wont be burden to anyone.Dadka ciyaal aaney wali dhalin ku xisaabtamaya ayaan ka yaabanahy, what if Allah doesnt bless you with any, or if you've few ay caasi kugu noqdaan.You should't rely to anyone in this dunya.
Green, we can't afford not to think about it or plan ahead. Have you ever been inside a state owned old people's home? Calool xumo
If you've got the time to talk about it, I would love to hear moreJaalleMarx wrote:You are one of my candidates; we should engage in knowledge transfer; I have some financial backers but, I will need educated and goal oriented somalis to realise the plan.Jasmine6 wrote:Whatever you need, I am more than happy to helpJaalleMarx wrote:Dear niece,
Your input will be indeed. The school will be well managed; I have talked to potential backers and we are in the process of establishing an endowment fund. I will need smart somalis like you to realise this goal.
- SummerRain
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 17320
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 am
Re: What are your retirement plans?
My mom lives with me now even though she is healthy and active. I couldn't let her live alone. I pray I'm blessed the same way.Jasmine6 wrote:MashaAllah, there's thinking ahead. Would you see yourself living with your kids when you're not able to look after yourself or are you more comfortable with the idea of hired care?SummerRain wrote:I have been contributing to my retirement since I was 16 years old. I haven't really set plans for it yet, that's kind of unrealistic given my age. I have to get a clear picture for what collage finances will look like for the kids, and the affordability of it. Given a nice education pension, would be nice to busy myself with gardening, grand kids and volunteering at the social and educational capacity. Those are all intentions but Allah knows what's coming for me.
- BlackVelvet
- SomaliNet Super

- Posts: 23249
- Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm
- Location: On Idman's mind
Re: What are your retirement plans?
SummerRain wrote:My mom lives with me now even though she is healthy and active. I couldn't let her live alone. I pray I'm blessed the same way.Jasmine6 wrote:MashaAllah, there's thinking ahead. Would you see yourself living with your kids when you're not able to look after yourself or are you more comfortable with the idea of hired care?SummerRain wrote:I have been contributing to my retirement since I was 16 years old. I haven't really set plans for it yet, that's kind of unrealistic given my age. I have to get a clear picture for what collage finances will look like for the kids, and the affordability of it. Given a nice education pension, would be nice to busy myself with gardening, grand kids and volunteering at the social and educational capacity. Those are all intentions but Allah knows what's coming for me.
-
- Similar Topics
- Replies
- Views
- Last post
-
- 4 Replies
- 349 Views
-
Last post by Wild@Heart
-
- 11 Replies
- 1757 Views
-
Last post by AbdiWahab252
-
- 1 Replies
- 1140 Views
-
Last post by Nubis
-
- 15 Replies
- 1599 Views
-
Last post by TheFuturist
-
- 15 Replies
- 1694 Views
-
Last post by AbdiWahab252
-
- 47 Replies
- 3007 Views
-
Last post by Qumanyoo
-
- 0 Replies
- 325 Views
-
Last post by AbdiWahab252
-
- 25 Replies
- 1477 Views
-
Last post by Hyperactive
-
- 18 Replies
- 1235 Views
-
Last post by michael_ital
-
- 8 Replies
- 1754 Views
-
Last post by AbdiWahab252