(SomaliNet) As police continued a crackdown on an illegal sect blamed for a string of murders and decapitations in Kenya, they said a 47-year-old woman was found beheaded and chopped up in central Kenya on Sunday.
Police commander Tom Mutisya said the body of the woman, who disappeared on Friday, was found near Nyeri township about 120km north of Nairobi, near Mount Kenya.
\"We were informed about the beheading and after we went there, we found the woman\'s torso. Other body parts including the head were missing. The limbs were also missing,\" he added.
\"We arrested one suspect and we are currently probing him,\" Mutisya said.
Kenyan police are currently cracking down on members of the Mungiki sect, who since March have been blamed for the murders of at least 43 people, 14 of whom were beheaded, mostly in Nairobi slums and central Kenya.
The group, which was banned in 2002, has alleged historic ties to the Mau Mau independence uprising, and is said to perpetuate customs such as female circumcision.
The crackdown, which comes ahead of December general elections, has so far resulted in the deaths of at least 79 Mungiki members and more than 3 000 arrests nationwide. - Sapa-AFP
We are working on this section. Use the top menu for now.
Ready sections:
SomaliNet Forum Archive | SomaliNet News Archive | Modern Somalia History and more!!!