(SomaliNet) In a tragic incident, gunmen on Uganda’s Lake Albert attacked a barge (ferry) operated by Canada\'s Heritage Oil Corp. on Friday morning, killing a British geologist.
The attack took place around Rukwanzi Island, the same area where four UPDF soldiers accused of having crossed into their territory were arrested by Congolese forces last weekend.
“Congolese soldiers crossed into Uganda and attacked the boat between 1:00am and 3:00am,” army spokesman for western Uganda Lt. Tabaro Kiconco told The New Vision.
\"I can confirm they killed one Briton. The security company guarding them responded.”
“Our troops also came in and responded. One Congolese soldier was killed in the fire-fight and one was injured,” Tabaro said.
Asked how he knew the attackers were members of the national army FARDC, Tabaro responded: “The Congolese army has confirmed the death of their soldier.”
The attack took place around Rukwanzi Island, the same area where four UPDF soldiers accused of having crossed into their territory were arrested by Congolese forces last weekend.
Rukwanzi Island is located half in Uganda and half in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
“It is the point where on July 29, our four soldiers were arrested and taken to Bunia, where they are still being held captive. It is also the point where in September last year 30 fishermen were abducted by the Congolese army,” Tabaro noted.
The British High Commission confirmed the victim was British but did not want to comment. “He was British. It appears he died as a result of gunshot wounds. I don’t want to give any details at this stage,” said Francois Gordon, the British High Commissioner.
Asked who he thought the attackers were, Gordon said: “There are an awful lot of people with guns in that area. I don’t know.”
The British victim was identified as Carl Nefdt, the team leader of IMC, the company doing the seismic studies for Heritage Oil.
A source working for Heritage Oil at Kingfisher camp in Buhuka said a boat with armed men approached the barge at around 5:00pm on Thursday, demanding petrol.
The oil workers told them they did not have any petrol as their barge used diesel. The Congolese then reportedly accused them of operating in their territory.
According to the source, the oil workers responded that their GPS indicated they were still in Uganda. “Later, at 11pm, the workers sleeping on the barge were awoken by the sound of an engine and a gunshot,” the source said.
“They sent out an SOS message to the camp: “We are surrounded and they have fired”.
Responding to the distress call, the UPDF and the British team leader rushed to the scene in a speed boat. “When they were 25km from the barge, the Congolese started shooting,” the source added.
“Carl was shot in the shoulder and the bullet went through the chest. He died on the boat.”
Government sources in Kinshasa claim there have been several incursions by Ugandan soldiers and oil workers in the past week.
But Heritage denies their boat was in Congolese waters. “We are 15 to 20 miles from Congolese waters. We’ve got GPS, they haven’t,” Heritage Uganda manager Bryan Westwood told Reuters.
Heritage owns two concessions in a 50-50 partnership with UK-based Tullow Oil on Lake Albert’s eastern shores and in Pakwach. Tullow also wholly owns one block in Hoima.
Though still at an exploratory stage, Heritage and Tullow have both found oil in the areas of their concessions. They estimate reserves of up to a billion barrels.
Heritage plans to start producing petroleum products for local markets by 2009 and eventually export oil via a pipeline to the Kenyan coast. The company has been carrying out a 3D seismic survey on Lake Albert to determine targets for further drilling.
Meanwhile, Fred Kayizzi and William Rwebembera report that tension has gripped Hoima district, Buhuka landing site, following the attack,
All the Hoima district authorities, including the resident district commissioner, Martha Asiimwe, rushed to the Kingfisher camp, situated about 80 miles south of Hoima town.
“I can not comment before I have established the facts on the ground,” Asiimwe said on phone.
The LC5 chairman, George Tinkamanyire, also confirmed the incident but said he was yet to get the details after reaching the site, believed to be the biggest oil well in Uganda.
“I am also just travelling on the lake to go and ascertain the truth about the attack so I can not confidently give you any details.”
By press time, Saturday Vision learned that Brig.Gen. Hudson Mukasa, the commander of the 2nd Division, was expected to meet the commander of eastern Congo in Ntoroko on Friday afternoon to discuss the incident.
“The oil exploration will go on. We shall provide maximum security for those on the ground,” said Tabaro.-New Vision
We are working on this section. Use the top menu for now.
Ready sections:
SomaliNet Forum Archive | SomaliNet News Archive | Modern Somalia History and more!!!